Hillcross Primary School
Leave of absence requests
The Governors of Hillcross Primary School believe that leave of absence during term time should be avoided as it can have a damaging effect on a pupil’s education and overall achievement. However, it is recognised that on occasions there may extenuating or compassionate reasons that justify such leave. The Education Amendment Regulations 2013 state that Head Teachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.
With regard to the regulation outlined above the school policy is as follows:
- Parents must request leave for exceptional circumstances as far in advance as possible.
- The request should be made in writing using the leave of absence form which is available from the school office or can be downloaded below.
- The form must include the reason why it is necessary to take a leave of absence. This may include any extenuating or compassionate reasons and must also include evidence of circumstances, such as a medical certificate or letter from employers to support the request.
- On receipt of an application for leave on the appropriate form, together with any supporting documentation, consideration will be given by the Head teacher. A decision will then be given to the parents within 7 days.
- Any leave of absence that is not authorised is very likely to result in a Penalty Notice being issued by the London Borough of Merton. The Penalty Notice currently carries a fine of £120 per parent, per child.