Sport at Hillcross
At Hillcross we are passionate about physical education and school sport, and promote physical activity as part of a lifelong healthy learning.
- All children have two sessions of PE each week
- Each cohort receive one year’s worth of swimming lessons during their time at Hillcross (across Year 3 and Year 4).
- The children in Key stage 2 are given ample opportunity to take part in local sporting competitions and we also have a designated Sports Competition Leader.
- The school has a partnership with Merton School Sports Partnership (MSSP) to develop sport across the school and make links with other local schools.
- Children in EYFS and Year 1 take part in daily Wake-Up, Shake-Up sessions and have fully equipped outdoor play environments that encourage a variety of physical activity.
- Active play equipment is provided for all ages at break times and lunchtimes and Midday Play Leaders have received training to help encourage children's engagement in interactive play.
- Children are offered the opportunity to take part in a range of after school sports clubs.
- The school engage with Merton’s Walk to School Initiative.
- Inter-school competitions such an annual tennis tournament alongside competitions linked to the Olympics, The Football World Cup and the Rugby World Cup.
- Links with local sports organisations such as The Old Ruts, The Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Association and AFC Wimbledon enable the school to offer additional sports coaching or opportunities that raise the profile of sport.